Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dialysis and All that Jazz

I started this blog to show my friends what my dialysis was like, because they ask some questions about it (but most are big scardie cats and don't wanna come, you bums;) ). So I thought I'd take some pictures of a few things and tell what they do. 

This is my Dialysis Machine. The tubes cycle my blood through a filter that takes out toxins that are harmful to my body. Since my kidneys can't do that anymore, thats what the machine does for me.

These are the needles in my fistula. It's a vein and an artery that doctors connected in my left arm. It creates a natural artery that they can place needles in with an increased bloodflow.



My lovely T.V. Dialysis takes 3 hours and 45 minutes, so I sit in my chair and watch some cable TV. I can't move my arm because the needles may shift and affect the bloodflow to the machine. 

More Machine pictures :)

The light thats on my machine, if there is a problem it turns red and makes a beeping noise. Normally it's a happy green if the treatment is going perfectly.

The whole setup. (oh look it's me in my frumpy Dialysis clothes)

Marie was sneaky and got a picture of me all woozy (yay funny face). Sometimes my blood pressure drops very low at the end of my treatment or my muscles can cramp up, usually in my legs and back. It can happen because I took off too much fluids or went past my dry weight. That means they have to give me some saline to help bring back up my pressure. 

Kinda short I know but, if people have questions, feel free to ask in the comment section and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very hard to face dialysis treatment and lot of care should be taken while undergoing dialysis (Fistula). My friend received a transplant as his mother donated kidney in November 1998. But unfortunately his kidney transplant was failure.
    What is the clinic you are getting dialysis treatment.

    Thanks
    Raghu
    Nephroplus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at the time I was at The Artificial Kidney Center On Linwood, in Buffalo NY. However I moved to a new clinic in Hamburg NY called the Southtown Dialysis Center. I actually do home dialysis out of that clinic now. Which means I do my treatments at home with my husbands help and every month I go to the clinic for a check up.

      Delete
  3. Oh its great lertia you are undergoing home dialysis and take care ! Especially i would also recommend lots of people from our dialysis treatment center to get dialysis and would always tell them not to miss Dialysis Sessions.

    Thanks for replying back and you can like me on faecbook at nephroplus and to grab the information as i update latest inforamtion regarding dialysis and also can follow on twitter, and it will be great thanks Lertia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. craving for water or any liqiud intake is hard to resist. Sometimes i just chew ice cubes, it helps a little. Hey visit my blog, its all about dialysis and stuff. check it here: www.janshideout.com

    ReplyDelete